Saturday, April 26, 2014

Life Over Cancer

Last month Duane and I took two weeks and drove through Utah to Arizona for a reunion with my Dad and siblings.  First we visited with our dear friends who have moved to Utah--we got to see Susan and David Williams, then Janell and Rod Watson with Chalyn and Apryl. On our way home we visited with Jill and Jerry Divis who moved away from us to Arizona--we miss these friends so much, it was such a wonderful reunion with them!

Then we drove on to Sedona, Arizona--a beautiful little resort town with lots of hiking trails through gorgeous red rock formations.  We celebrated Bert's 50th Birthday (a few months late), did some shopping and talked, talked, talked.  So relaxing and nice to be with your family.  We visited a place called Montezuma's Castle--an old Native American cliff dwelling, used from about 1200-1500 or so. 
 


After Sedona, we all drove up to Williams to take the train to the Grand Canyon!  We stayed overnight there, so beautiful.  We got in a couple nice hikes, including we four sisters hiking down into the canyon on the Bright Angel trail--we figure we went about a mile down and definitely a mile back up!  Scott and Marni joined us for that trip--so fun.  Bert and Scott went several miles down the Bright Angel trail.  Brought back memories for Duane who years ago hiked with his brothers rim to rim to rim.  I was so grateful to feel so good and be able to keep up on the hikes.

My sisters Ann & Lisa
  

This is my sister, Lori, being brave wearing a hat!
While we were in Sedona I met a store clerk who had survived 3 rounds of chemo over the last 30 years or so.  She was friendly and so helpful and encouraging.  She gave me the courage to decide to wear head scarves, hats and beautiful earrings instead of relying on my wig. 
She also introduced me to the book "Life Over Cancer".  This book may have life changing impact!  I bought it as a Kindle book so I could read it on the way home, it was so good, I went back and bought it as a real book that I can underline and turn pages--and refer back over and over.  I should probably make a whole 'nother blog about it!
 
The author, Dr Keith Block, outlines what he calls an "integrative approach" to cancer--using chemo, radiation & surgery, but also, as important as those, are a person's diet, exercise, specific supplements and mind/body care.  He outlines more perfectly the exact diet I had decided on months ago--that was so hard for me to figure out, it is so good to see that the leading expert in this type of care agrees with me!  Everything I read in this book rings true and good--I've studied cancer alot and this is the hands-down best resource I've found anywhere.
 
I've just finished my 4th round of chemo.  They are pretty strong drugs but I'm handling it okay.  Originally Dr. Lee suggested we do 4 rounds, then see where we are.  I saw her this week and she suggested we continue, maybe 4 more rounds.  It appears to be working and I haven't had to make any visits to the Emergency room, so hey, let's keep going.  Not really what I wanted to hear.  All my blood numbers are going down--red and white blood cells and platelets are what they really watch--they're still good enough to do more chemo, but makes me susceptable to everything--it's wiping out my immune system, I wonder if there aren't alternatives.
 
I decided to call Dr. Block's clinic and see if it might be possible to get an appointment before Christmas.  I was so surprised to be able to make an appointment for May 8--only 2 weeks away!  And I'll be able to actually meet with Dr. Block himself, as well as an oncologist, a dietician, a physical therapist and have extensive blood work done.  His clinic is only 35 minutes from Jeff and Missy in Chicago.  I've got my flights arranged and I'm going!
 
I have to send all my records--it's a binder full by now--and fill out a 16 page questionaire.  What I really like is how he will individualize a plan for me--I won't just be a statistic like I am now.  In his book he says at the end, "If you were my patient, I would sit down beside you and together we would explore how you can sustain your hope...  Our center would help you devise an action plan that combined tumor-killing approaches with self-care strategies to regenerate your anti-cancer defenses.  I would bring you into a community of helpers and healers who would optimize your health and guide and support you throughout your ordeal.  And I would encourage you to develop a team of your own, to help you make the experience one of healing and connectedness...It is my hope and prayer that this book and the program...will motivate and equip you to make important steps toward healing, and bring you to a full and complete recovery."
 
Throughout the book he mentions herbs, vitamins and supplements that I have already been using with Ray, my naturopath, who I have alot of faith in.  Dr. Block uses them specifically designed to what my blood work shows--that really appeals to me.  And maybe I need all three of these chemo drugs, and maybe I don't--it's such a shotgun approach.  I am certain that what you eat matters, yet I have been told by more than one doctor and dietician that it doesn't.  I don't believe you can cure cancer with your diet alone, not at all, but I am sure that diet contributes to what Dr. Block calls the "healing terrain" of your body.
 
  Well, I could go on and on!  I'm grateful for that "chance" meeting with the clerk in Arizona.  I know Heavenly Father orchestrates things like that!  I'm so excited to have this appointment and see what I can learn.

No comments: