Friday, February 7, 2014

The Most Important Things about Doctors

With two sons in medical school and lots of experience recently with doctors, I think it's appropriate for me to give some advice--I'm always full of good advice, don't you know!  My boys will develop their own styles as they go along, these ideas are things I have appreciated and learned from my doctors.

My doctors have been amazing at keeping in touch and following up.  I appreciate that so much.  You don't really know if you should mention a little concern, you don't want to bother someone you know is really busy, so when they call me, I feel they really want to know.  Then I can be more at peace about a little symptom or something.  One doctor has even come to my house a couple times, and I know he has done that with others as well.  I don't know how he has the time, but he makes it.

I also appreciate a doctor who will take his time at an office visit to answer questions, do a little teaching, and really hear my concerns.  I've been spoiled with doctors like this and am so impressed. 

When doctors have made a mistake with me they have been honest and apologetic, that has been so amazing.  I know things happen and appreciate it when they are open about what's going on.

I like to call them Dr. ______.  One person said to call her Dr. Nancy--that just felt weird.  Dr. Chow always calls me Karin and I always call him Dr. Chow.  I like that.

I think these things are as important as their level of competency--it inspires confidence.  I like to know I'm not the first person they've done this procedure on--competency counts of course.

Well, there's my two cents.  I count excellent doctors as one of the great blessings of this whole experience.

No comments: