Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Most Important Thoughts as I go to my first Chemo appointment today

Later this morning I will have my first appointment for Chemotherapy.  I'll be getting three drugs, Irinotecan, Oxaliplatin and Fluorouracil.  Yesterday we met the nurses and saw the facility, learned about the drugs and were able to ask our questions. 

I have thought of chemo as the enemy in the past, now I have to change my thinking and see it as one of our tools in combating this cancer.  I try to envision it shrinking and killing the cancer cells, while I envision the Haelan I'm taking protecting and guarding the good cells that the chemo usually also kills.

It's kind of like going into labor--everybody has a different experience, it isn't pleasant for anyone, but the result of new life is always worth it.  You don't know ahead what your experience will be like, you just go trusting you will get through it and be better off in the end.

I have been amazed and overwhelmed at the caring of my family and friends.  Duane has been with me every step of the way, never fussing once at how expensive this is.  Everywhere I go people mention they are praying for us.  I have received notes that have given courage and comfort, texts and calls and emails to let me know people are thinking of me, people come to walk with me, clean my house, bring me dinner, help me fill my freezer with my special recipe muffins, pumpkin bread and soup.  My sister sent a "chemo care package" with books, puzzles and games.  A friend gave me a gift certificate for a massage!  I've received my first hat, flowers, really nice water bottles, books, ideas, visits, even asparagus!  My sister is paying for my daughter's flight out to visit, her in-laws are spending a week with her childen so she can come.  My two student sons are both spending their spring breaks with us.  The nurse asked if I have a support team, I'd say that's a very big YES!

I'm especially grateful to continue to feel the peace Heavenly Father sends.  There are trying moments, but they are just moments.  99% of the time I'm happy and at peace.  I know I'm in God's hands, there are too many prayers in my behalf for this to not go as He has planned.  Everyone experiences adversity, it's what we're on this planet for, to be tried and tested, to learn and grow.  There has to be a little adversity for us to learn from and show our true colors.  I'm good with that!

No comments: